A network security event disrupted certain Fort Smith, Arkansas, computer systems and city services Sunday, but 911 dispatch and emergency response remained fully functional, the city said.
In its latest public update Sunday evening, Fort Smith said restoration work was active and ongoing. The city had not announced full restoration by Monday morning or identified the affected systems or services.
Fort Smith said it was working with federal law enforcement and cybersecurity specialists to restore services. Officials have not said when the activity began, how it was discovered or whether anyone accessed city data.
The city also has not said whether ransomware was involved or identified who was behind the incident.
Fort Smith is Arkansas’ third-largest city, with about 91,000 residents, according to 2025 U.S. Census Bureau estimates.
Other recent attacks on municipal governments have disrupted routine operations while cities worked to restore their systems. Earlier this month, ransomware took Coweta, Oklahoma computers offline and halted some City Hall transactions, though 911 continued operating.
In June, Acworth, Georgia restored its systems 10 days after a cyber incident affecting some computers. The city’s restoration notice did not specify which services had been disrupted.
Fort Smith said it would release more information as the investigation progresses. It has not given a timetable for restoring full functionality.